It’s cold and rainy here today, perfect soup weather! I made this recipe up a few weeks ago when I was looking at what we had on hand…I didn’t want to have to send Darryl out to buy any other ingredients. This recipe is a combination of about three different recipes that I know of…I started with a loose idea in my mind and was pleasantly surprised by the result. I’ve made this soup a few times since that night and this is my final version. It happens to be gluten free and vegan. If you are not vegan, feel free to use regular milk in place of the almond milk.
This is our favorite soup right now…it’s warm and filling and it goes together in a snap!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 t. dill
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup plain almond milk (or regular milk if you are not vegan)
- Juice of a half of a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in olive oil until tender. Stir in the broth, potatoes, garlic and dill. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the beans. Blend soup with hand blender, but not too well, there should still be chunks of potato. Add lemon juice and stir, then add almond milk. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until heated through (do not boil).
What is your favorite soup at this time of year?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Glaze. - September 19, 2016