I’m definitely a fan of the salty/sweet flavor combination…I LOVE chocolate covered pretzels, they are my favorite. I love fleur de sel caramels, chocolate chip cookies with a hint of saltiness…all so good.
So I decided I wanted to make some kind of treat with a pretzel crust the other day. I was remembering a dessert from when I was little…I think it was a strawberry jello and cream cheese dessert with a pretzel crust? Something like that. I always just loved the crust. I think I would even scrape away some of the jello and just eat the crust with cream cheese.
Anyway, here’s what I came up with:
- 1 cup pretzels
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- couple pinches salt
- 12 Tablespoons chocolate ice cream, softened
- extra pretzels and/or chocolate chips for toppings
- This is so easy! Just crush your pretzels into crumbs (I used the bottom of a heavy glass). Melt your butter/buttery spread in a bowl in the microwave and stir in the pretzel crumbs, sugar and salt.
- Line a mini-muffin tin with paper liners and put some of the crust mixture in each liner. Smush it down with the back of a spoon.
- Put a tablespoon of chocolate ice cream in each cup and take a spatula and smooth out the top.
- Press a pretzel or a few chocolate chips into each ice cream bite. Cover the muffin tin with wax paper and freeze until firm, about an hour or so.
Enjoy! You can modify this recipe to suit your dietary needs…of course my version is vegan, but you could even make it gluten free with GF pretzels, or just go traditional with dairy ice cream and regular pretzels.
Good luck eating just one…they are yummy! I think this would be a cute dessert for a summer party. Just sweet little refreshing bites.
Linking up to some of these parties.