The last few days have been a little bit chillier here, and I’ve been busting out my favorite soup recipes! We’ve had bean soup, chili, potato soup, and chicken rice soup is on the menu for later in the week. Today I’m going to share my potato soup recipe with you, and it’s a recipe that is adapted from my mom’s recipe box. My mom got the recipe from an older lady who was our neighbor for a while when I was growing up. Mrs. Brown was her name, and she made delicious potato soup, and amazing apple pie as well. Her recipe called for butter and sour cream, but I adapted it, and I think it tastes pretty close. If you are not dairy free, you can add the sour cream, it makes the soup have a little bit more of a tangy flavor. Before we had dairy issues, this is the way I used to make my cream of potato soup. I’m happy to say that I love both recipes!
This soup is easy to put together, and just takes some time on the stove top to cook and have the potatoes get tender. It’s a perfect fall dinner when coupled with bread and a light salad.
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 6-8 Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 32 oz. box reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 slice nitrate free ham, ¼ inch thick, diced (you can ask them to slice it that thick at the deli counter)
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free flour, plus 2 Tablespoons water
- In a large sauce pan, saute the onions and celery in the olive oil for about five minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add the potatoes, ham, and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the almond milk and salt, stir. Put the GF flour and the water in a small container with a lid, and shake well. Drizzle the mixture in the soup while stirring until it reaches the desired thickness.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017