We’ve had some cold and rainy autumn days here lately, and that means that dinner has been a nice bowl of soup more often than not. I especially love lentil soup, as seen here and here. Ironically, on the 28th, we are getting Baby Bee tested for a lentil allergy (!) ugh! I am so hoping that he is not allergic to lentils, since I love them and they are so nutritious. Baby Bee reacted to a red lentil soup I made several weeks ago, and we were not sure if it was the tomato, or perhaps a cross contamination with the broth being manufactured in a plant that processes eggs and dairy, or, as my allergist suggested, maybe the lentils. He said that lentil allergies are becoming more common for some reason.
Anyway, let’s say that lentils are off the list for us, or you…I think that this soup would still be really delicious with beans instead…white beans or pinto beans. If you don’t eat meat, you could leave the sausage out, it would still be yummy! Maybe you could add mushrooms instead just to give it a little more flavor. Enjoy!
Sausage Lentil Sweet Potato Autumn Soup
1 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup baby carrots, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 package chicken sausage (I used Applegate Farms Chicken Maple Breakfast Sausage)
1 32 ounce box chicken stock
1 cup green lentils
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1. Saute onions, carrots and garlic in olive oil, until softened.
2. Add sausage, and cook, browning on all sides.
3. Pour in broth, one cup water and scrape up brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
4. Add lentils and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Cook on low for 30-40 minutes until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy with gluten free crackers or bread and butter.
Linking up to some of these parties.