As I mentioned on Monday, we love Mexican food over here. We make chicken or turkey tacos at least once a month. Since we do have to avoid certain foods, it is difficult to buy a premade seasoning mix, because a lot of them contain hidden gluten, or in some cases, even dairy. So I make my own, and it is so easy, and it’s cheaper, too!
You can adapt this recipe to fit your spice level. Add just about anything you want, chili powder, a little sugar, onion powder, etc. Don’t be afraid to experiment!
Chicken Tacos with Homemade Taco Seasoning
- For the taco seasoning:
- 3 Tablespoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- For the tacos:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Homemade taco seasoning
- 1 Tablspoon tomato paste or ketchup
- taco shells of your choice
- chopped tomatoes avocados, lettuce, onion…whatever you want to top your taco with
Make the seasoning:
Mix all spices together in a little glass jar. You can double the recipe if you want to, just keep it sealed so it stays fresh!
Make the tacos:
Place the chicken breasts in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and cover with water, or chicken broth if you prefer.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until cooked through…about 20 minutes. Check the temperature in the middle of the breasts, it should reach 170 degrees.
Let the chicken cool, then drain most of the liquid out of the pan. Shred the chicken and place back in the pan. Add the tomato paste or ketchup, (if I don’t have tomato paste, I just use ketchup, it works in a pinch!). Add your seasoning…I start with about 1 1/2 tablespoons and go from there, adding more as needed.
Heat through, and add more water if the chicken seems too dry. Once it’s heated through and seasoned to your liking, spoon into shells and add your toppings.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Homemade Dairy Free Ranch Dressing. - April 7, 2017
- Vegan Chocolate Truffle Easter Eggs. - April 5, 2017
- Chocolate Gingerbread Mug Cake (Gluten Free and Vegan). - March 30, 2017