It’s time for another Recipe Redux link up, and this month the theme was New Year’s good luck foods. I really have never made an effort to eat something special on New Year’s to bring luck to my year, but a lot of cultures do so. It was interesting to read about different traditions around the world. I decided that I would bring a pork recipe to you today, because I like pork tenderloin, and I like my slow cooker, so those two things combined = lucky in my book. :)
Also, whenever I hear the word luck, I think of this clip from The Office:
Which reminds me of how much I miss The Office. Boo.
Back to the recipe. This pork tenderloin is so moist and flavorful, and the salsa verde gives it a lot of nice flavor without extra fat.
And in case you were wondering, pork is considered lucky because pigs are always moving forward, not backwards.
- 1 pork tenderloin (I bought mine from Trader Joe’s, and I think it was about 2 pounds)
- 1 jar of salsa verde, at least 12 ounces
- ½ tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup of white rice
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt
- fresh cilantro
- Drizzle the olive oil into the slow cooker. Place the pork inside and pour the salsa verde on top.
- Cover and cook on high for one hour, and then reduce heat to low and cook for 4-5 hours.
- When the pork is almost done cooking, cook the rice. Bring two cups of water to a boil, add a teaspoon of olive oil, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until fluffy, about 30 minutes.
- Add the frozen corn kernels and the seasoned salt to the rice. Stir and cook until heated through.
- Add a handful of fresh cilantro leaves and stir.
- To serve, place the rice on the plate, top with pork and some of the sauce from the slow cooker, and top with more fresh cilantro leaves.
Be sure to check out the other good luck recipes below!
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Glaze. - September 19, 2016