Well, how is everyone doing this winter? Are you experiencing the record low temps that we are here in the mitten state? I’ll be honest, these extra cold days are a little bit rough. It’s easy enough to get cabin fever in normal winter weather, but when it is so cold that you absolutely cannot go outside, that makes the cabin fever even worse. I don’t love being outdoors in the winter, but I will bundle us up on the sunny days and get outside to grab some sunshine. It makes everyone feel better!
But we are doing the best we can here, opening all the curtains and blinds so that the house feels bright and sunny, doing Valentine’s crafts (more on that later), and making warm and tasty soups. I am a big soup person, and if I have a pot of soup on the stove, and hot chocolate in my mug, winter doesn’t seem too awful after all.
I thought it would be fun to make a mini meatball soup – suspecting that my older son would be thrilled with tiny meatballs in his bowl. And he was, I was right. There’s just something fun about mini food, isn’t there? :) This soup has a ton of flavor, thanks to the pork, marinara sauce, and the spices, and the beans and pasta make it a really filling meal.
Sometimes you can get loose Italian pork sausage at Whole Foods or elsewhere at the butcher counter, but if not, just get the links and then remove the casings. Any type of gluten free pasta would work here, we used macaroni this time, but penne would work, or even rice if you are out of pasta. That’s what I love about making soup, you really can’t mess it up!
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage
- ½ slice gluten free bread, crumbled
- 1 box chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 can Cannellini beans
- 1.5 cups of cooked gluten free pasta
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
- If the sausage has casings, remove them, and place loose sausage in a bowl. Add breadcrumbs and combine. Make the meatballs, rolling them into small balls, about one inch in diameter.
- In a large pan, saute the onion in the olive oil until it softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, beans, meatballs, and marinara sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer until meatballs are done, about 20 minutes. Add the macaroni, zucchini, and spices. Cook until the zucchini are tender, about 5 more minutes.
- Serve with bread or crackers and a salad for an easy lunch or dinner.
What soup are you eating these days?
Linking up to some of these parties.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017