These vegan hot fudge sundaes have something extra special – a splash of coconut rum and sugared pecans! Truly a special treat!
Hello! How was your weekend? Too busy, like ours? Do you feel like you need a treat today?
Oh good, because do I have a treat for you! This month’s Recipe Redux theme was spirits. I knew immediately that I wanted to add some kind of liqueur to a dessert, because that’s always a fun addition. I started to think about desserts that I miss now that I don’t eat dairy, and I was remembering this super delicious turtle sundae that I used to always get from a local ice cream place. It was so good! We’d always ride our bikes up there, and then get a turtle sundae (which totally negated the bike ride, but oh well), and it was such a good summer treat.
I wanted to recreate that sundae, but with a twist. A splash of coconut rum, almond milk, vegan ice cream, and salty sweet pecans, and I have a sundae that’s worthy of a special occasion.
The sweet and salty pecans are addictive! I couldn’t stop eating them. Actually, so is the hot fudge. Having the leftovers sitting in my fridge is a huge temptation right now.
- Vegan ice cream of your choice - I used Almond Dream vanilla ice cream
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 2 Tablespoons almond milk
- 3 Tablespoons coconut rum (I used Malibu Coconut Rum)
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 2½ Tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoons sea salt
- Make the pecans: Mix the sugar and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small pot, melt the vegan buttery spread over medium low heat. Add the pecans and stir for a few minutes until they are toasted and coated in butter.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the buttered pecans to the sugar mixture and toss to coat. Spread the pecans on a plate or cookie sheet to cool.
- Make the sauce: Put the sugar, cocoa powder, and sea salt in a sauce pan and whisk together. Add the ½ cup of almond milk and whisk. Heat the mixture over medium heat until it starts to simmer, then reduce heat to low.
- Add the vegan buttery spread and the chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Put the arrowroot powder and the 2 Tablespoons of almond milk in a small container with a lid. Shake well to remove lumps. Drizzle this mixture into the pan and stir constantly until thickened.
- Remove pan from heat and add the coconut rum. Stir and place back on heat to thicken again if needed. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Scoop ice cream into sundae cups and top with warm fudge sauce and pecans. Enjoy!
This hot fudge sundae with coconut rum sauce is:
- decadent and rich
- a perfect pairing of salty and sweet
- easy to make
- ideal for any special occasion!
This hot fudge sauce is so rich and chocolatey – it really is the best hot fudge I’ve ever had. And I live in Michigan, home of the famous Sanders ice cream shops!
Enjoy! Hopefully your Monday is a little bit sweeter now!
Be sure to check out the other spirited recipes below!