I don’t know…is everyone already over chia seed pudding? Is it last year’s news? I’m not over it, because chia seeds are so good for you. They’re a good source of fiber, calcium, iron, magnesium, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids. I’m always on the lookout for ways to add more protein and calcium to my diet, and I love how versatile chia seeds are. I love to put them in my smoothies, and sprinkle them on salads or on oatmeal. Because of all the fiber, they make a kind of gel when combined with liquid, so that makes a great base for a pudding like dessert.
I was a little skeptical about chia seed pudding, because it just seems like A LOT of chia seeds all at once, and I wasn’t sure that I would be a big fan. But I really liked this healthier dessert option. You can use whatever milk works for your diet, and the berries on top are optional. This pudding would also be great topped with coconut, chocolate chips, or almonds, or all three.
- 4 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- pinch of salt
- raspberries for on top
- Put the chia seeds and the cocoa powder in a medium size glass bowl and whisk together.
- Add the almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt, and stir to combine. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, stir the mixture with a spoon to break up any clumps of seeds. Return the mixture to the refrigerator.
- Refrigerate for at least one more hour or until the pudding is thick and spoonable. Spoon into serving cups and top with raspberries. Keeps well in the refrigerator for a couple days.
I’ve also recently heard that you can blend this pudding for a smoother texture. The texture didn’t bother me, it was like a tapioca pudding. But if you want to have a smoother pudding, blending it is an option.
Because chia seeds are a good source of energy, this pudding is also a good way to start the day!
Have you tried chia seed pudding? What did you think of it?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017