Because sometimes you just need a bowl of creamy pasta with crispy buttered breadcrumbs.
Yes, it’s summer, and we are grilling and eating fresh fruit and salads and ice cream and popsicles, but sometimes you just have a day where you need some comfort food. Something creamy and warm and carb-filled.
A few readers have asked what my favorite brand of gluten free pasta is. Right now I am really enjoying the DeLallo brand. It’s available in most mainstream grocery stores, and it comes in a lot of different shapes. I love that they make a delicious gluten free orzo! (affiliate link) Orzo is one of my favorite pastas, and it can be hard to find a gluten free version. DeLallo gluten free pasta does contain corn, so if you have a corn sensitivity it won’t work for you.
As far as breadcrumbs go, you can purchase gluten free breadcrumbs at the store and use those, or you can make your own by saving the ends of gluten free bread and making crumbs in the food processor. If you make the breadcrumbs ahead of time, just store them in the freezer to keep them fresh. It’s definitely less expensive to make your own.
Anyway, this little recipe is pretty easy to whip up, although it requires a couple of pans. You do need to attend to the breadcrumbs while you fry them, otherwise they’ll burn right up! And no one wants that. Nothing ruins a recipe faster than burnt breadcrumbs, right? This creamy pasta is easy to make – just add some non-dairy cheese, almond milk, salt, pepper, and vegan buttery spread, and stir it right up! Top with sautéed mushrooms and the crispy breadcrumbs, and you’re all set. Gluten free/vegan comfort food as easy as 1-2-3!
- 8 ounces gluten free orzo, cooked according to package directions
- 1½ cups Daiya dairy free shredded cheese
- ⅔ cup almond milk
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- For the breadcrumbs:
- 1½ cups gluten free bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon vegan buttery spread
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cook the gluten free orzo according to package directions in a large soup pot.
- While the pasta cooks, saute the sliced mushrooms in a little bit of olive oil in a small skillet over medium low heat.
- Drain the pasta. Add the vegan buttery spread, almond milk, and cheese, and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted.
- In a separate skillet, melt the 2 tablespoons olive oil and the tablespoon of vegan buttery spread. Add the gluten free breadcrumbs and the garlic salt. Cook on medium low heat, stirring often. If you walk away, they will burn! Keep stirring until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Divide the cheesy orzo among four bowls. Top with the sauteed mushrooms and the buttered breadcrumbs.
Enjoy! I hope your weekend has a little comfort in it!
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017