I can’t get enough sweet corn right now. There, I said it. Anyone else feel that way? We’ve been getting the best corn from the Farmer’s Market, and I want to eat it every day…and we kind of have, corn chowder, corn cakes, and just good old corn on the cob, too. When we buy fresh corn, we eat it right up, and none of it goes to waste. Unlike cucumbers, which Darryl says that we “buy so we can throw them away.” Seriously, they don’t seem to last. If I don’t slice them up immediately, they just go bad. I don’t know where I’m going wrong.
But these Southwestern veggie bowls….I kind of want to eat these bowls every day. This is such an easy dinner, and so delicious! It’s kind of like summer meets fall, too, with the addition of sweet potatoes. It’s a transitional meal. Is that a thing?
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 ears of corn, kernels sliced off
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- ⅓ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- fresh cilantro
- Place the brown rice in a pot with 1¾ cups water and a drizzle of olive oil. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and cook on low for about 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and the sweet potatoes in the olive oil over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Add the spices and stir.
- Add the black beans and corn, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the corn is done and everything is heated through.
- Put a scoop of rice in each bowl and top with the vegetables. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
So easy, so colorful, so good!
Linking up to some of these parties.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017