Good Morning! How was your weekend? We’re all doing much better over here – we finally kicked that awful summer cold. It was a rough one, and it really had a grip on the boys. We had a couple of sleepless nights which were not too pleasant. My poor babies. :(
But that’s all in the past now. Hooray for a healthy end of summer! (I hope).
I’m still hanging on to every last bit of summer that I can. I know that everyone is kind of thinking of apples and pumpkins and slow cooker recipes and such, but it’s too soon for me! Don’t take my summer yet! We are still eating tomatoes and corn and zucchini and will be for a while over here. I made this salad the other day, and it was a great way to use up the pile of cherry tomatoes we have from our garden.
The cherry tomatoes are still going strong, although our other tomato plants did not fare too well this year! I don’t know why, maybe the cooler weather and too much rain?
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅔ cups pepitas
- ⅔ cups olive oil
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ Tablespoons cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Rinse the quinoa and place in a saucepan with two cups water and a teaspoon of olive oil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Turn heat off and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Put the lentils in a saucepan with enough water to cover by about one inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 25-30 minutes, until lentils are tender but have not lost their shape. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin.
- In a large bowl combine the quinoa, lentils, and tomatoes. Pour on the dressing and stir to coat. Add the pepitas and stir again. Serve warm or cold.
This salad is really filling – the lentils and the quinoa both have a lot of protein, so it’s a nice summer meal. Make it for dinner and serve the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017