An easy and tasty snack cake made with zucchini and chocolate chips. Perfect for a snack or dessert!
How was your week? Subpar, like mine? Do you need cake?
We have cake.
If you were to come to my house today, I would sit you down and offer you cake and a chat. Not just because you look like you could use a piece of cake, but because I could REALLY use a piece of cake and a chat.
This week has been draining. My mom had back surgery on Monday, and although the surgeon said everything went well, she is still in the hospital in a lot of pain, and it’s just so hard to see your mom in a lot of pain. And we are waiting, and praying that the surgery worked. So that’s been on my mind. She has had some nurses and other personnel who have been nice and kind, and some others who have not been so kind. Which is rough. When a patient is in severe pain, how hard is it to show a little compassion? Just be kind. That’s all. It takes the same amount of time to do something with a kind and compassionate attitude as it does to do something and be a big grump about it.
Anyway, now that that’s off my chest…another piece of cake?
We had a few zucchini from our garden, and a few more from the Farmer’s Market, so I went into a little zucchini baking frenzy last weekend. This is such a simple cake to make. Grating the zucchini takes a few minutes, but it’s not a big deal. Then just dump everything in a bowl and mix it up, and bingo! Healthy vegetable cake. (Or something like that).
- 1½ cups white spelt flour (can use all purpose flour)
- ½ cup whole spelt flour (can use whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1.5 small zucchini)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ⅜ cup water
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the zucchini, canola oil, applesauce, vanilla extract, vinegar, and water to the dry ingredients, and stir together. Add the chocolate chips and stir again.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
This is a great after school snack, or a breakfast cake (that’s a thing, right?) I definitely ate a piece of this one morning before heading to the hospital. That’s a problem for me…I’m always confusing dessert and breakfast.
I know, it’s a tough problem to have, right? :)
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017