Cozy chocolate chip steel cut oats are a hearty and warming winter breakfast.
It’s the weeeeeekend!! Yay! We can sit around and watch movies! (Oh wait, we’ve been doing that for the past five days anyway, because the boys have a cold). Oh well. More movies! More tea! More coziness!
I love to have a warm breakfast in the cooler months. It just makes starting my day more pleasant if I have something warm to eat or drink in the morning. Steel cut oats are a favorite of mine, because they’re nutty and chewy, not mushy like normal oatmeal. The other day I was cooking some up and I thought, why not add some chocolate chips? And maybe some coconut? That would make it taste almost like a bowl of oatmeal cookie batter. So I did, and it was amazing! Now, this is not a breakfast I will make everyday, because it’s kind of rich, but it’s sooo good for a special treat once in a while.
If you’re sensitive to gluten, then you need to get certified gluten free steel cut oats, which are pretty easy to find. Our Whole Foods has them, as does Meijer, and I’ve even seen them at Big Lots. Sometimes people have questions about whether or not oats are safe for those on a gluten free diet. You know your own body, so use your best judgement.
I used the unsweetened coconut flakes, and Enjoy Life brand mini chocolate chips. Once the oats are done cooking, add the other ingredients, watch the chocolate get all melty, and spoon into bowls to enjoy right away. It’s a perfect weekend breakfast – easy and delicious.
- ⅔ cup gluten free steel cut oats
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ Tablespoon golden flax seed meal
- 1 Tablespoon vegan buttery spread
- In a small pot bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the steel cut oats and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat o low and cover. Cook on low for 15-20 minutes until oats reach desired texture.
- Stir in vegan buttery spread, chocolate chips, flax seed meal, and coconut flakes.
- Spoon into bowls and serve immediately.
This post is part of my 31 Day series:
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017