Yesterday I mentioned how soup crazy I am. It’s true. Once fall hits, if I have a pot of soup on the stove, a pumpkin on my porch, and a cozy scarf and boots, I’m all set. Oh, and also hot cider. With a cinnamon stick. And maybe a nice warm oatmeal cookie.
Okay, so there are a lot of things that make fall for me, but soup is a really big one. And if I can make it in the slow cooker, then that’s a nice bonus, because I can put the ingredients in, turn it on, and a few hours later, ta-da! Lunch or dinner is ready.
This soup is very easy to make and it cooks quickly because the ham is already cooked. The peeling of the potatoes is the hardest part. (Ugh, I think that’s my least favorite kitchen task. The last time I did it I wound up cutting myself. Not great).
If you want to make this vegan, leave the ham out (of course), and you may want to add a bit more salt. I’ve made it without ham and it turns out really well – it’s still a very comforting and tasty soup.
Crockpot Corn and Potato Soup.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 5 large potatoes I prefer Yukon Golds, but you can use any type, peeled and diced
- one 12 ounce bag frozen corn kernels.
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- one 32 ounce box chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- fresh cilantro or parsley for serving.
Place the olive oil and the chopped onions in the crockpot. Turn the crockpot to low heat.
While the onions warm in the olive oil, peel and dice the potatoes.
Add the potatoes, corn, carrots, broth, ham, and spices to the crockpot.
Cover and cook on low for four hours or until potatoes are tender. If the liquid gets too low, add some water.
Add more salt or pepper according to your taste,
Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley if desired.
This post is part of my series: 31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Soups, Salads, Sides & Sweets.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Vegan KFC Copycat Coleslaw. - July 17, 2017
- First Birthday Smash Cake (Gluten Free, Allergy Friendly). - July 12, 2017
- Pineapple Nice Cream (Dairy Free, Vegan). - July 5, 2017