What was your favorite vegetable when you were growing up? I was thinking about it, and when I was little, I was not totally crazy about veggies. I liked green beans, I HATED peas and cooked carrots, I thought potatoes were vegetables, and I LOVED corn. Especially creamed corn…that’s right, the kind that comes in a can. Yikes. And while I wouldn’t touch that stuff with a ten foot pole now (who knows what’s in there? And the color of it – ick.) I thought that I would try to make a homemade version. How hard could it be – it’s just butter and cream and corn, right?
It’s really easy to make, actually! It comes together quickly and has a nice buttery, creamy flavor. I think this would be a nice side for Thanksgiving dinner. It’s a little bit more special, but it’s easy to make and won’t take up a lot of time or effort on the big day.
- Two 8 ounce packages frozen organic corn kernels
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free flour blend of your choice
- 1½ cups almond milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- Place the corn in a large microwave safe glass bowl. Cook on 50% power for 5 minutes so that it starts to defrost.
- Melt the vegan buttery spread in a large pot. Add the corn and heat through.
- Add the almond milk, gluten free flour blend, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
If you are not dairy free, just go ahead and use your regular butter and milk. This recipe will work for everyone!
So tell me, what veggies did you love when you were little? What ones did you hate?
This post is part of my series: 31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Soups, Salads, Sides & Sweets.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Glaze. - September 19, 2016