Well, we had a cold front blow in and now it is most definitely chili weather here in Michigan! Yesterday we woke up to a grey, damp day in the 40’s, and I knew that I would be cooking up a big pot of chili. Since I was too busy to go grocery shopping, I decided that this chili would be based on two ingredients that I always have on hand – quinoa and black beans.
Since this is a vegan chili, it cooks up pretty quickly! You can have this on the table in about 30 minutes.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- one box frozen winter squash puree
- two 15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 32 ounce box vegetable broth
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a large soup pot, cook the onion and the garlic in the olive oil over medium low heat until soft, about 5 minutes
- While the onion and garlic cook, microwave the frozen squash in a microwave safe bowl for about 4-5 minutes on high.
- Put the squash, salsa, and tomato sauce in the pot and stir. Add the black beans, vegetable broth, quinoa, and spices. Stir and raise the heat to high.
- Once the chili is boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes. If the liquid level gets too low, add the cup of water.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips or cornbread.
That’s all there is to it! We love to top this with tortilla strips and guacamole.
How was your weekend? Is it chili weather where you are?
This post is part of my series: 31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Soups, Salads, Sides & Sweets.