It’s almost 2015! Yikes. It seems like the past few months just flew by! We were able to enjoy December more than usual because of super mild weather here. I am definitely okay with 50 degree days in December, just for the record.
But now it is sooooo cold here! I suppose winter is here to stay, so get ready for an onslaught of soup and chili recipes! I just can’t help myself. I love soup, I’m a soup addict. <- True confession. :)
Okay, so one of my very favorite soups/chilis is white chicken chili. I love it, but I was wondering if it would be possible to make a vegan version that is just as delicious. And it is possible! I love this version just as much as I love the chicken version. The quinoa helps to thicken the chili up and make it even more filling. This is a great quick meal for a busy week night – it takes just about 20 minutes to make!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- one can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- one can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅔ cup quinoa
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup salsa verde
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Put the olive oil and the onion in a soup pot and cook over medium heat.
- Add the drained beans, salsa verde, and spices. Stir.
- Add the quinoa and water, and raise the heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the quinoa is tender.
- Taste and add more seasoning as needed.
- Serve topped with green onions, avocado, tortilla chips, or your other favorite topping.
Who else is a soup addict? What’s your favorite soup?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017