Creamy cauliflower carrot soup is so warming and makes a hearty meal when topped with protein packed roasted chickpeas!
It’s so cold and so snowy, and so grey, so today is a soup kind of day!
(I’m a poet, and I didn’t even know it. ;)
This is about the time of year that I really feel that we are in the grip of winter and it seems like there is no end in sight. I know that it has to end eventually, but seeing that the high temperature this weekend is going to be in the single digits is not exactly inspiring.
So to counteract the freezing cold, I’m making soup all the time. You just can’t have too much soup in the winter, if you ask me. And this one is so easy and so warming – it’s perfect. It’s also vegan and gluten free, and super easy to make. The main ingredient is a head of cauliflower which makes it nice and creamy after you puree this soup. It’s a very creamy and rich tasting soup even though it’s dairy free.
I like to top this soup with roasted chickpeas – they add amazing texture and flavor, plus they add some more protein and fiber to this soup.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- one onion, chopped
- 1½ cups frozen carrot coins
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- florets from one head of cauliflower
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth (amount depends on the size of your cauliflower - if it looks like the soup needs more broth, add more)
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup refrigerated coconut milk (I used SO Delicious brand)
- In a large soup pot, saute the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, potatoes, and curry powder, and raise the heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and puree the soup using an immersion blender.
- Add the coconut milk and salt and stir.
- Serve soup topped with roasted chickpeas.
Find my roasted chickpea recipe HERE.
If you’re feeling the winter chill, you need to make this soup today!
What are you doing to stay warm where you are?