These double chocolate cupcakes are sinfully delicious and are free of the top 8 allergens! Perfect for birthday parties and playdates.
It’s the 21st, and you know what that means! Time for another Recipe Redux post! And this time, I was so excited to see that the theme was…CHOCOLATE! Yes, this month’s Redux could not be any more perfect for me, the chocoholic.
The theme is Favorite Chocolate Matches, actually, and I have several favorite chocolate matches: strawberries, peanut butter, cherries, and more, but for this recipe I decided to go with chocolate + coconut.
I needed to make some cupcakes for a belated birthday celebration, and chocolate was the requested flavor. I had a chocolate cupcake recipe that I’ve used before, but it tends to be a bit dry if I use gluten free flour. I decided to go out on a limb and really up the amount of cocoa powder, and add several coconut ingredients to see if I could create a moist and delectable coconutty chocolate cupcake. I’m happy to say that my experiment was a success!
The coconut milk and the coconut milk yogurt keep these cupcakes very moist, and also give them a light coconut flavor. The frosting makes a generous amount, and if you have any left over, it is delicious on graham crackers or strawberries. These cupcakes are perfect for a special occasion – especially if you have any guests with food allergies, because they are free of the top eight allergens. (But you’d never know it, because they are so decadent!)
- 1½ cups gluten free flour blend (I used King Arthur's Gluten Free Blend)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup unrefined organic coconut oil
- ⅔ cup refrigerated coconut milk (I used SO Delicious brand)
- 3 Tablespoons vanilla coconut milk yogurt (I used SO Delicious brand)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ½ cup vegan buttery spread
- 2½ - 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2-3 Tablespoons non-dairy milk (I used coconut milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Measure ⅓ cup of coconut oil and put it in a small bowl. Microwave for about 15-20 seconds until it is melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour blend, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the coconut oil, coconut milk, vanilla coconut yogurt, vanilla extract, and vinegar, and mix until smooth and combined. (You can use a mixer, or just do it by hand. Either way works).
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about ⅔ full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 19-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean. Place the cupcakes on a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with remaining batter (you will have enough for 2 or 3 more cupcakes).
- Once the cupcakes are cool, make the frosting:
- Cream the vegan buttery spread in a large bowl. Add a little bit of the sifted powdered sugar and cocoa powder. (To make things easier, I sift these together). Continue to mix on low speed.
- Alternate adding the sugar and cocoa powder and drizzling the coconut milk in until the desired consistency is reached. The frosting should be thick but spreadable.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes, and store in the refrigerator if you are not going to serve them right away.
These are my new favorite cupcakes – we already have plans to make them for the next birthday celebration over here!
Want more dairy free, gluten free, and allergy friendly recipes? My eBooks, Allergy Free & Delicious, and Allergy Friendly Comfort Food are full of colorful, tasty, easy to make recipes that are allergy friendly.
Be sure to check out all the other chocolate recipes below!
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017