Are you thinking about what to eat this weekend? Are you thinking that takeout sounds like a good idea?
Wait! I have something for you to make that’s even better than takeout!
How about a delicious bowl of chicken, veggies, and rice, all covered in a sweet and savory pineapple teriyaki sauce?
This sticky chicken teriyaki rice is so full of flavor from the all the veggies, sesame seeds, and of course the pineapple based sauce. And of course the rice is there to soak up every bit of that sauce, making every bite extra tasty! The sauce reminds me of some of the meals we had when we were on Maui for our honeymoon. The pineapple juice and ginger give it that extra bit of tropical flavor that makes this dish one the whole family will love.
And although it looks like a lot of instructions in the recipe below, this dish actually comes together pretty easily. You just need to have the chicken, rice, and veggies cooking at the same time. Then you make the sauce, mix it all up, and dinner is served!
- 1 cup organic long grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large organic chicken breasts
- 1½ Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- ½ cup gluten free tamari
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (more if you want it spicy!)
- 4 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- Place the chicken breasts in a large pot with enough water to cover them. Place the lid on the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside to cool. Once cool, use your hands or two forks to shred the chicken,
- While the chicken cooks, make the rice: Place the cup of organic long grain white rice, 1½ cups water, and 2 teaspoons olive oil in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until rice is fluffy and tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the sliced onion, red pepper, and 1½ Tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet. Cook over medium low heat until tender and lightly caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Once the chicken, rice, and veggies are done, make the sauce. Combine the tamari, honey, pineapple juice, ginger, and brown sugar in a small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Let cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
- In a large bowl, place the rice, shredded chicken, and onions and peppers. Pour the sauce over the top and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the chopped green onions over the top and serve immediately.
What’s on your menu for this weekend? What’s your favorite kind of takeout food?