I know we’re heading into spring like recipes, but I just have to share at least one more chili recipe before it gets too warm outside! I heard that it will be in the upper 40’s here in Michigan next week, which is basically a heat wave, but as long as it is still in the 20’s, I feel pretty safe sharing more chili/soup/stew recipes.
This recipe was kind of an accident. We had ground turkey that needed to be cooked, and I couldn’t decide if I wanted to make chili or sloppy joes. Then I realized that sloppy joes are kind of like baked beans, and baked beans are kind of like chili, so why not make a kind of sweet and tangy baked bean turkey chili?
And guess what? It was so good. We all really loved it! It got gobbled up in no time flat. If you love sloppy joes, this is the chili recipe for you!
- 1 1 /2 pounds ground turkey
- 6 green onions, white and green parts chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 can black beans with juice
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups tomato puree
- ⅜ cup ketchup
- ½ cup water
- 3 Tablespoons mustard
- 3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- In a large soup pot, place the ground turkey, and chopped green onions. Cook over medium heat until turkey is cooked through.
- Drain off any excess grease.
- Add the black beans with their juice, pinto beans, tomato puree, ketchup, water, mustard, dark brown sugar, sea salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes to let flavors blend.
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Top each serving with more green onions or cheese as desired.
Are you still in comfort food mode where you are?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017