It’s the 21st! Eek! Where did the month go?
Since it’s the 21st, that means that it’s time for another Recipe Redux! This month’s challenge was forgotten ingredients, whether it be something from the spice rack, pantry, or refrigerator.
Unfortunately, I had just cleaned out my spice cabinet this winter. Actually, that was probably fortunate, because I’m guessing you wouldn’t want to see a recipe made with Five Spice Powder that expired in 2006? (I’m not even kidding).
I made a little something sweet instead.
I was looking at my spices, and I realized that I don’t use ginger very much (except at Christmas, for gingerbread). Then I remembered these chocolate gingerbread bars that I used to make and love, and I thought I could change the recipe around to make it gluten free, vegan, and almost refined sugar-free.
Chocolate Gingerbread Bars.
- 4 tablespoons vegan buttery spread melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour spooned and leveled, I used King Arthur Gluten Free Multi Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 3 Tablespoons prune puree
- 1/4 cup coconut milk I used SO Delicious unsweetened from the refrigerator section
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place a piece of parchment paper in an 8 inch square baking dish so that it hangs over both sides.
In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon.
Add the melted vegan buttery spread, prune puree, and coconut milk. Stir until smooth.
Stir in the dairy free chocolate chips.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth it out with the back of a spoon.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 24-29 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
adapted from this recipe.
So tell me…what is the oldest spice you’ve ever found in your cabinet?
Be sure to check out the other forgotten ingredient recipes below!
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Decadent Dairy Free Chocolate Pudding. - July 24, 2017
- Vegan KFC Copycat Coleslaw. - July 17, 2017
- First Birthday Smash Cake (Gluten Free, Allergy Friendly). - July 12, 2017