Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Pacific Foods. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support me!
Remember that old commercial? “The best part of waking up…is oatmeal in your cup!”
Oh wait. I may have that wrong. :) But to me, the non-coffee drinker, the best start to the day is a nice healthy breakfast, and more often than not that’s a bowl of oatmeal over here.
We love our steel-cut oats. The only drawback is that it takes a little bit of time to make them. When we wake up super hungry, we don’t always feel like waiting the 20 minutes that it takes to boil some steel-cut oats.
That’s why I was intrigued when Pacific Foods contacted me about their new, ready-to-eat organic steel-cut oatmeal. These steel-cut oats are pre-cooked, so they are ready to eat in just minutes. They’re available in five flavors: Unsweetened, Lightly Sweetened, Apple & Cinnamon, Maple & Brown Sugar, and Flax & Chia Powder.
I love the convenience of having a healthy, whole grain breakfast in an easily portable container. I can see these steel-cut oatmeal boxes being very handy for traveling. It’s the worst when you can’t find a healthy breakfast when you are on vacation!
My son loved these oats plain – he was a big fan of the Maple & Brown Sugar variety (with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top!) I thought that variety was really good with sliced apples and cinnamon.
I wanted to see how else I could use these steel-cut oats, so I decided that some oatmeal pancakes were in order!
We love our oatmeal around here, and we really LOVE our pancakes, so oatmeal + pancakes? A match made in heaven for us! These are so easy to make, and really delicious for a weekend breakfast or brunch. It was very easy to incorporate the steel-cut oats into this recipe, and I felt good knowing that we were getting some extra whole grain in our pancakes.
These pancakes are fluffy, tender, and loaded with melty chocolate chips. The oats provide extra fiber, iron, and protein. You need to make these soon!
- 1½ cups white spelt flour
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup Pacific Organic Steel-Cut Unsweetened Oatmeal
- ⅓ cup organic canola oil
- 1½ cups refrigerated coconut milk (I used SO Delicious Original)
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- vegan buttery spread for frying the pancakes
- In a large bowl, whisk together the white spelt flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the organic canola oil, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and Pacific Organic Steel-Cut Unsweetened Oatmeal.
- Stir to combine. Add the chocolate chips and stir to incorporate. Set aside for a few minutes - you will see the batter puff up from the baking powder.
- Put a tablespoon of vegan buttery spread in a skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Once the vegan buttery spread is sizzling, spoon the batter into the pan. Reduce the heat slightly.
- Watch the pancakes closely - when the edges are starting to firm up and look cooked, use a spatula to flip the pancakes carefully. Cook until pancakes are golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Add more vegan buttery spread to the pan between each group of pancakes.
- Serve with more chocolate chips, powdered sugar, or pure maple syrup.
I also wanted to share a fun contest that’s going on this week. If you post a photo of an oatmeal bowl dressed up with toppings to Instagram or Twitter, and tag it @pacificfoods and #oatmealbowl, you will be entered to win a daily prize and/or the grand prize! Find out more HERE.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy steel-cut oats?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017