Chocolate cherry energy bites are nut free, grain free, and naturally sweet! A great snack for busy days.
Well, I finally hopped on the energy bite train.
I don’t know what took so long, actually! I made these dried plum energy bites, (that was my first experience with them), and I really liked how they were easy to make, and satisfied my chocolate craving in a healthier way. Plus, there’s no baking involved! Perfect for the summer heat.
Then I started to wonder if I could use dried cherries instead. And I had just purchased a bag of hemp hearts, so those went in as well, and I was out of sunflower seeds, but I had pumpkin seeds…
The next thing you know, I’d made a whole batch of chocolate cherry energy bites. Yum.
They really are very easy to make…the food processor makes it so easy to grind everything up. Rolling them is a little bit messy, but it’s fun to make a mess sometimes, right?
Especially a mess that ends with something delicious.
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup hemp hearts
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup dairy free mini chocolate chips (optional, leave out if Paleo)
- extra cocoa powder for rolling, if desired
- Place the pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Add the dried cherries, cocoa powder, and maple syrup. Process until the mixture is fairly smooth - it will be quite thick,
- Add the mini chocolate chips and stir.
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Take a tablespoon of the mixture and use your hands to roll it into a ball. If you want to dip it in cocoa powder or another coating, you can do so. Place the balls on the cookie sheet.
- Chill in the refrigerator for an hour before eating. Store energy bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Have you made energy bites before? What’s your favorite flavor?
Follow my Paleo Desserts board on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Follow The Pretty Bee (Allergy Friendly Eats)’s board PALEO Dessert Recipes. on Pinterest.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Testing 3 Different Gluten Free Flour Brands in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. - September 26, 2016
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016