Oh, look, what a surprise, it’s another quinoa recipe! ;)
But this time it’s breakfast quinoa – truthfully, one of my favorite ways to eat quinoa.
I love to have quinoa as an alternative to oatmeal. It’s full of fiber, protein, and iron, and when mixed with buttery spread and coconut milk, it makes a delicious hot breakfast cereal. It’s also fairly quick to make – if you’re in a rush, it’s easy to throw in a pan and let it simmer for 15 minutes or so while you get ready for the day.
I find that quinoa is a very filling cereal option – it definitely sticks with me throughout the morning. If you want to add even more nutrition, you can add some ground flax seed, chia seeds, or hemp seeds.
This version is full of coconut flavor from coconut milk, cream, and flakes, and the fresh mango is the perfect topping to this tropical breakfast.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2¼ cups unsweetened coconut milk (I used SO Delicious brand)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1 Tablespoon coconut cream (I used Trader Joe's brand)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes, plus more for top
- 1 cup fresh mango, diced
- Rinse the quinoa in a strainer, and then place the quinoa in a saucepan. Add the unsweetened coconut milk. Cook over medium heat, just until the milk starts to bubble. Reduce the heat to low, and cover the pan.
- Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes. The quinoa is done when the little ring separates from around the edge of the quinoa. Don’t overcook or it will dry out.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the honey, vegan buttery spread, shredded coconut flakes, coconut cream, and salt.
- Spoon into bowls and top with the diced mango. Sprinkle coconut on top.
Have you tried quinoa for breakfast? What did you think?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017