Did you know that I love teeny things?
Look at those teeny eggplant! Awww!
I also love teeny tomatoes, teeny berries, and teeny bottles of shampoo. I had a dollhouse growing up and I loved collecting miniature food and furniture for it. There’s just something so adorable about tiny things! Just look at this instagram account. I mean COME ON.
Did you also know that I love stir fry?
A simple stir fry is a really great way to eat eggplant. I know sometimes people walk right by eggplant at the market because they just aren’t sure what to do with it. Is it bitter? Does it need to be salted or soaked? Ugh, this sounds like a lot of trouble.
That’s why I love the miniature eggplant that you can get at the farmer’s market right now. It doesn’t need to be peeled or salted. You just slice it right up and add it to your dish. It isn’t bitter at all, it’s just delicious.
For this stir fry I just made a simple sauce of tamari, red pepper flakes, and honey (maple syrup if you’re vegan). It’s an easy meal to make and is a nice change from your usual stir fry.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 4 cups sliced miniature eggplant
- 6 Tablespoons tamari sauce
- 5 Tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use less if you don't want it spicy)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- jasmine rice, cooked according to package directions
- Place the olive oil, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook until it is fragrant and just slightly starting to brown, about 6-8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add green pepper and eggplant. Cook for several minutes, then add the tamari, honey, ground ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Continue to cook over medium heat for about 12 minutes, stirring often until the eggplant and green pepper is tender.
- Serve over rice.
Have you tried mini eggplants? What’s your favorite way to enjoy them?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Glaze. - September 19, 2016