Fresh baked donuts with cider and spices are a perfect treat for fall!
We made it out to a cider mill on Monday, and it was the perfect day for it! Sunny and in the 60’s, just a perfectly beautiful Indian Summer day.
While we do love cider, the best part of the whole cider mill experience is the donuts (duh, everyone knows that), but if you have food intolerances, the donuts are probably off limits. Since most cider mill donuts contain egg, we have to make ours at home.
We skipped the donuts and enjoyed cider slushes instead on Monday. But we still needed donuts! So I baked these donuts at home using apple cider instead of milk, and they were so flavorful. They were gobbled up in no time at all.
I have made these with both spelt flour and with gluten free flour. They are just slightly more dense with the gluten free flour. If you do use gluten free flour, reduce the amount of applesauce to one tablespoon.
- 1 cup white spelt flour (these do work with a gluten free flour blend)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ½ cup apple cider
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (reduce to one Tablespoon if you are using gluten free flour blend)
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread, melted
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a donut pan.
- Place the flour, coconut sugar, salt, baking powder, and spices in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add the apple cider, vinegar, vanilla extract, applesauce, and melted vegan buttery spread and stir well.
- Spoon the mixture into the donut pan, and smooth out with the back of the spoon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then overturn the pan to remove donuts.
- Dip warm donuts into the sugar to coat.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Testing 3 Different Gluten Free Flour Brands in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. - September 26, 2016
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016