Some days just seem to require a little comfort food, especially in the winter time. But it’s the new year, so maybe you don’t want to go all out – you still want to keep it healthy-ish. So how about a lighter dish? Like pasta in a creamy, dairy free sauce with spinach and ham.
This pasta is the perfect somewhat lighter solution. It’s not too heavy or rich, but it still has that creaminess from the coconut milk. If you’re avoiding dairy and gluten, this is the pasta for you!
We made this on a chilly day last month, and it was eaten in no time flat. It’s one of those dishes that you keep going back for a little bit more, and a little bit more, until it’s all gone. I made this with ham, but it would also be very tasty with bacon instead. (Hey, all the spinach balances out the bacon, right?) ;)
See that pretty curly pasta up there? I picked up a bag of gluten free fusilli from Aldi the other day, and I used it in this recipe. This was actually my first experience with Aldi’s gluten free pasta. It was so good! I was very impressed with the way that it held its shape, and the flavor and texture were very good. Any brand will work of course, and if you aren’t gluten free, just use your regular pasta.
This recipe would be ideal for a cozy weekend filled with lots of relaxing and Netflix binge-watching. Just an idea for you. :)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 ounces of frozen chopped spinach (about 1½ cups)
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 15 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- ¾ cup chopped cooked ham
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 10 ounces gluten free pasta (I used fusilli)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil and the chopped onion in a medium sized pot. Cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder and vegan buttery spread to the onion and stir. Add the spinach and stir until it is cooked through.
- Add the can of full fat coconut milk, the cooked ham, salt and pepper, and simmer for about 5 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes if desired.
- Put cooked pasta in bowls and top with sauce before serving.
Linking up to Allergy Free Wednesdays and some of these parties.