Mmm…we’re using the slow cooker again! That means that if you make this recipe, your house will smell cozy and warm and wonderful all day long. There’s nothing better than that in the winter, in my opinion. :)
Oh goodness, just typing this post out is making me want to make something in the slow cooker again! It’s the ultimate dinner solution isn’t it? Throw all the things in the cooker, close it up, turn it on, and forget about it. When it’s dinner time, just get out the dishes and eat. The combination of laziness and deliciousness really works for me. I’m a fan. :)
This soup is very hearty, flavorful, and healthy – just what you need on a freezing cold day! It has a ton of protein from the lentils and the sausage, plus some good iron and vitamin K from the kale. Add a few potatoes, some broth, and you’ve got a stew going! ;)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup French green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 2 cups diced Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1½ cups chicken sausage
- 1 32 ounce box chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup packed kale, ribs removed and torn into pieces
- 4 hours on high
- Put the chicken sausage in a frying pan with a teaspoon of olive oil and cook over medium heat until browned. Drain on a paper towel lined plate, then slice into coins.
- Place the olive oil, chopped onion, celery, lentils, potatoes, chicken sausages, broth, and spices in the slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low, until lentils are tender.
- Five minutes before serving, stir in the kale and place the lid back on the slow cooker.
- Serve once the kale is wilted.
Linking up to Allergy Free Wednesdays and some of these parties.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017