These veggie filled quinoa bowls are a delicious and healthy allergy friendly lunch!
Well, for the first time in a long while, I can say that we have snow! There’s enough snow on the ground to make everything look pretty, and more than enough to make snowmen and snow angels. It’s kind of nice, especially since I know that it’s supposed to be in the 50’s this weekend so everything will surely thaw out by then. I like snow, but I do get tired of too much of it for too long.
Normally a bunch of snow would make me want comfort food, but lately I’ve been craving lighter dishes with lots of fresh vegetables and whole grains. This particular combination was extra good so I thought I’d better share it! It takes very little time to throw together, plus it’s filling and full of flavor.
I dressed up the quinoa with some seasoning and a quarter cup of nutritional yeast so that it has a nice savory flavor plus the added benefit of all those B vitamins. Zucchini, red onion, and corn perfectly compliment each other, and a sliced avocado on top adds tons of healthy fat. This is an easy lunch that will keep you full until dinnertime!
- ⅔ cup quinoa
- one red onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- two small zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- red pepper flakes
- one avocado, sliced
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, saute the red onion and zucchini in the olive oil. After about 7-8 minutes of cooking, add the corn. Stir and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, add the nutritional yeast, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. If the quinoa seems too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water and stir.
- Spoon the quinoa into bowls. Top with the sauteed vegetables and sliced avocado. Season with more salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes if desired.
What have you been eating for lunch lately?