Delicious, creamy, and rich, this cherry chocolate avocado mousse is a healthy and tasty dessert!
So, how was your holiday weekend? Were there fireworks and barbecues and swimming? Lots of good food, I hope?
We had a good holiday that included barbecuing and eating and sitting and relaxing. Lots of down time, not so much screen time, it was all very good. And I was so happy to get my hands on some good sweet cherries! My goodness, it seems like they are better than ever this year.
Since I love cherries so much, and I love sneaky healthy desserts so much, I knew I had to combine these cherries into a delicious and healthy cherry chocolate avocado mousse.
I know that some of you are all about avocado based desserts, and I know that some of you just are not. I hear you. I too, have had bad avocado desserts before. And they are not good! But I think there are two things going on here. Either the avocado started to go south, and was overripe before it was made into a dessert (yuck), or it was picked too early. Once in a while I will get a kind of strong tasting avocado, and after some searching, I read that the reason is that the avocado was just picked way too early.
A good avocado will be soft, with a mild, buttery or slightly nutty flavor. It should not have any brown streaks or spots inside.
Once you blend up a perfectly ripe avocado with some cherries, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and non-dairy milk, you get a light, delicious, healthy dessert. It really has such a rich and creamy texture – avocados are amazing!
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 8 sweet cherries, pitted and stems removed
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- dairy free chocolate chips
- Place all the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor or blender.
- Process on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Taste, and if needed, add more cocoa powder or maple syrup. (This will depend on the size of the avocado).
- Serve immediately topped with chocolate chips.
If chocolate avocado mousse isn’t your thing, go check out my guacamole recipe! :)