These toasted coconut chocolate chip oatmeal cookies are always a big hit! The toasted coconut really adds something special.
It’s time for another Recipe Redux! This month the theme is cooking memories. We were asked to share some of our first cooking experiences.
I do have some memories of cooking when I was growing up – things like baking pancakes or cookies or biscuits. But what I want to talk about today is my early experiences with baking gluten free desserts.
When I was a new mom who had removed gluten from my diet for the comfort of my baby, I very hesitantly ventured into the world of gluten free baking. At that time, I had no idea what I was doing as far as baking without gluten.
I can clearly remember two sad attempts. The first was a pan of gluten free brownies. Now that I do know what I’m doing, I really can’t imagine what I did to that poor pan of brownies that somehow made them both burnt and underdone. But I do know that they were a disaster.
The other attempt that I remember was chocolate chip cookies. Simple chocolate chip cookies – gluten free, but with eggs and butter. I think my error that time was to skip chilling the dough. The cookies spread to every corner of the cookie sheet. They weren’t cookies…it was a large rectangle with chocolate chips. Darryl happily ate it. “It’s like a cookie-cake,” he said.
I kept trying because I love baking, and thankfully I got the hang of it! ;) I believe that anyone can learn how to bake without gluten, eggs, dairy, or other allergens. It’s completely possible to enjoy delicious treats that are allergy friendly, and these simple cookies are proof!
These toasted coconut chocolate chip cookies are so good and allergen free. The secret ingredient here is the toasted coconut flakes – there’s nothing better than the little bit of chewy crunchy goodness they bring to this recipe.
We made these for a road trip and they were gone in no time at all.
- ½ cup vegan buttery spread
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus more for on top
- 1 cup certified gluten free old fashioned oats
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the coconut flakes on a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Toast the coconut for about 5-7 minutes until it is fragrant and lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Place the vegan buttery spread and sugars in a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the applesauce, coconut milk, and vanilla extract - mix well.
- Add the gluten free flour blend, baking soda, and sea salt, mix on low speed until combined.
- Stop the mixer and stir in the toasted coconut, gluten free oats, and chocolate chips.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Drop the cookie dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with a spoon and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 11-14 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet, then transfer with a wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough.
These toasted coconut chocolate chip cookies can be made with regular flour and dairy ingredients if you prefer! You could also add in some sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds to make it more like a trail mix cookie.
Be sure to check out the other Recipe Redux posts below!