A crunchy and delicious fall green salad. Red cabbage, celery, and a tangy dressing make this salad a favorite!
Just a couple of weeks remain until Thanksgiving, until we’ll be gathered around a table filled with rich, comforting dishes. Sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, wild rice stuffing…so many delicious things to eat!
So, where does a salad fit in with all these delicious comfort food recipes? Sometimes it’s nice to have something fresh and green – something to contrast with all the heavier food. And surely you don’t want a bagged salad with bottled dressing – plus, which bottled dressings are even safe for those with multiple food allergies?
This salad, this crunchy green salad with a fresh, tangy dressing – this is definitely worthy of a place on your Thanksgiving table this year. Romaine hearts, red cabbage, and celery are crunch and healthy, dried cranberries add sweetness, and the garlic lemon dressing is just bursting with flavor.
And best of all, this salad is free of the top 8 allergens, and it’s so easy to make.
Depending on the size crowd you’re serving, you may want to double this recipe. You can use green cabbage if you prefer, and you can skip the dried cranberries if you want – this salad will still be delicious.
- 2 romaine hearts, sliced thin
- ½ small red cabbage, sliced very thin
- 4 stalks celery, sliced thin
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- juice from 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2½ teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Slice the vegetables and toss together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, pressed garlic, olive oil, sugar, and salt.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Add the cranberries and toss together.
- You can prepare the salad dressing well before serving. Just add to the salad and toss before you are ready to serve the salad.
This flavorful salad is easy and impressive – make it for Thanksgiving or any gathering on your calendar – your guests will love it!