Quick and easy turkey tacos are the perfect dinner when time is short. This family friendly dinner is gluten free and dairy free.
We all need easy dinner recipes in our arsenal, right? Recipes that require simple ingredients, very little effort, but still taste great. These quick and easy turkey tacos are just the thing to make on those nights when you need to make something everyone loves, but don’t have a ton of time to spare.
Back in the days before you had food allergies or intolerances, you may have purchased a taco kit – the kind of thing that has taco shells, seasoning, and sauce – everything you need to make a quick dinner. But if you are trying to avoid allergens, extra additives, or cross contamination of allergens, you may want to make your own taco seasoning. That way you can choose the brands of spices you use, and you can control the level of spiciness as well.
The homemade taco seasoning in these turkey tacos is full of flavor, but still mild enough for children. If you want to spice it up more, just increase the amount of chili powder, or add hot sauce or spicy salsa.
Now, if you have a corn allergy, don’t despair! This turkey taco meat is delicious when served over rice. Just prepare your rice, and serve the taco meat on top, along with your favorite taco toppings, like tomatoes, lettuce, dairy free cheese, salsa, or guacamole.
Another corn free option would be to serve this meat over Beanitos chips – they are made from beans. Be sure to check and see if they will work for your specific allergy needs.
- 1 pound ground turkey, 93% lean
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- gluten free taco shells, prepared according to package directions
- toppings of your choice: lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, dairy free cheese, avocado
- Put the ground turkey and chopped onions in a skillet and cook over medium heat until browned and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Drain off any grease.
- Add the spices, ketchup, and water. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon taco meat into taco shells and top with your choice of toppings.
I use McCormick brand seasonings because I am comfortable with their labeling and allergen statement. Be sure to read labels and use a spice brand that is safe for your needs.
This is a great recipe to feed a crowd – I’ve made these turkey tacos for parties, and they’re always a big hit! Simply double or triple the recipe as needed.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017