A warming and comforting curried lentil butternut squash soup is a great meal for the winter months!
Disclosure: Thank you to So Delicious for sponsoring this post. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Is there anything better than a creamy, comforting soup on a cold winter day? If you’ve eliminated dairy from your diet, you may think that cream soups are a thing of the past. But that’s doesn’t have to be true. Just because you can’t eat dairy, you don’t have to give up the velvety texture of creamy soups and sauces.
When we first eliminated dairy from our diet, it was overwhelming at first. It seemed like everything contained dairy – everything was off-limits. No more cheesy pizza, or lasagna, or milkshakes. (At least not until we learned how to make dairy free versions).
For us, the most helpful thing in making this change was to focus on the ingredients that were naturally dairy free and create delicious dairy free recipes that we all could enjoy.
This curried lentil soup is full of nutritious dairy free foods. Lentils, butternut squash, kale, vegetable stock, and creamy coconut milk. Focusing on the foods that you are able to eat will help you to feel less deprived. There are so many naturally delicious and dairy free foods to choose from.
Another way to ease the transition to a dairy free lifestyle is to find good dairy free substitutions for the dairy products you love. So Delicious makes many wonderful dairy free products. We are particularly fond of their coconut milk beverages, cultured coconut milk yogurt, and frozen desserts.
A great way to add richness to a soup is to include coconut milk. So Delicious Original Culinary Coconut Milk is thick and adds a wonderful texture and flavor to this soup that perfectly complements the curried spices.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups French green lentils, picked over and rinsed (regular green lentils or black lentils are okay)
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup curly kale, stems removed, leaves torn into small pieces
- 2½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 container So Delicious Original Culinary Coconut Milk
- Place the onion, celery, and olive oil in a large soup pot. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the lentils, butternut squash, vegetable broth, curry powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Add the So Delicious Culinary Coconut Milk, kale, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir well and cook for about 5 more minutes, or until the kale is tender but still bright green.
- Serve immediately with more salt and pepper if desired.
Head HERE to read more about the Dairy Free Challenge.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017