An easy and quick recipe for tasty toasted coconut chocolate chip granola. This recipe is a great time saver, and it’s allergy friendly!
Granola is one of those foods that’s a bummer to buy. First of all, it’s SO expensive! $8.00 for a bag of oats, coconut, and spices? Come on.
Secondly, it’s a huge hazard for those of us dealing with food allergies. So many brands of granola contain nuts, dairy, or wheat, and those that don’t actually contain allergens often share lines or facilities with nuts or other allergens.
So what’s a granola fan to do? Make your own, of course.
We make granola in our house on a pretty regular basis. It’s delicious and you can make a wide variety of flavors. But one little drawback is that it takes kind of a long time to bake. Not a huge deal, but what about when you just want some homemade granola in a hurry?
That’s where the stovetop comes in. You can have stovetop toasted coconut chocolate chip granola in just about 15 minutes. It’s so easy, you may never make granola in the oven again.
If you can’t have oats, you could try to make a grain free granola (or trail mix) with just toasted coconut and a variety of seeds – pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, etc.
If coconut is not an option for you, leave it out and add more oats. You will also want to substitute a different oil for the coconut oil.
- 2 cups certified gluten free oats
- 1¼ cups coconut flakes
- 1¼ Tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- In a large skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium heat, then add the gluten free oats and coconut. Cook oats and coconut while stirring constantly until they start to brown - about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegan buttery spread, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Cook while stirring constantly for about 5-7 minutes until the mixture starts to dry out.
- Spread the mixture (it will still look wet) on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Let it cool completely, then add the chocolate chips and chia seeds.
- Store cooled granola in an airtight jar.