These fudgy chocolate cookies have a secret ingredient – your family will never guess what it is!
If you have picky eaters in your family, you know that sometimes you have to get a little bit creative.
When they’re going through a phase of mostly toast and cereal and chicken, you have to put on your thinking cap and figure out how to sneak those veggies into them.
These cookies are a nice way to get some sweet potato into your child’s diet while serving them dessert. These grain free fudgy chocolate cookies are so delicious, no one will guess that they’re made with sweet potatoes!
You can bake your sweet potatoes any way you choose – either the oven or the microwave will work well. Once they’re cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and mix it with all the other ingredients. One large sweet potato or two small sweet potatoes should be enough to get 3/4 cups of mashed sweet potatoes.
Unsure about the difference between yams and sweet potatoes? This article may help clear up any confusion.
The texture of these grain free chocolate cookies is soft and delicious. They’re a great dessert to make if you’re out of gluten free flour, or if you’re avoiding all grains. You can top them with a few chocolate chips or a sprinkle of sea salt if you want – it’s up to you.
- ¾ cups baked sweet potatoes, skins removed
- ⅝ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup + 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar (you can use brown sugar if you prefer)
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- optional: dairy free chocolate chips, sea salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the coconut sugar and vegan buttery spread in a mixing bowl or food processor and mix or blend on medium speed.
- Add the sweet potatoes. cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, baking powder, and salt, and mix until blended and smooth.
- Spoon the batter onto the prepared cookie sheet. Top with dairy free chocolate chips and a sprinkle of sea salt if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet before moving them. They will be soft.
- Store leftover cookies in the refrigerator.