These vegan and gluten free banana oatmeal muffins are perfect for a healthy breakfast or snack. Enjoy this flavorful muffin with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
Does anyone else have trouble with an overabundance of brown bananas from time to time?
We buy bananas, and then suddenly they’re too ripe, and so I’m sticking them in the freezer to save them. And that means that we’ll be eating banana bread or muffins sometime soon!
These banana oatmeal muffins are so easy to make, and just perfect for a quick breakfast or after school snack. I ground up some gluten free oats in the food processor to make oat flour to add some extra fiber to these muffins. If you happen to have oat flour on hand, you could use that instead.
Is oat flour gluten free?
Oat flour made from certified gluten free oats is gluten free. The issue is that oats are often grown and processed in areas with wheat and other gluten containing grains. Pure oats are a gluten free grain. Make sure you only buy oats or oat flour that says it is “certified gluten free.”
Should I use brown bananas to make muffins?
These banana oatmeal muffins are best when the bananas are very ripe – they will have more flavor than if you use somewhat ripe bananas. Look for your bananas to have brown spots on the peel. You can also use brown bananas that have been frozen – these will be very sweet.
How to make banana oatmeal muffins:
- Mash the ripe bananas with a fork. Add the sugar and stir well.
- Add the other ingredients and stir well.
- Place in a muffin pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing.
Enjoy these banana oatmeal muffins with:
- a cup of tea or coffee
- this whipped strawberry butter
- vegan buttery spread and a drizzle of honey
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Banana Oatmeal Muffins (Vegan and Gluten Free).
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free flour blend or regular flour if you don’t need to be gluten free
- ½ cups certified gluten free oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup organic canola oil or coconut oil, or vegan buttery spread
- ⅔ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tablespoons golden ground flax seed meal
- 2 very ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Place the gluten free oats in a food processor and process on high speed to grind into a somewhat fine flour.
- Place the bananas in a large bowl and mash with a fork. Add the ground flax seed, oil, and vanilla and stir. Add the sugars and stir again.
- Add the gluten free flour, ground oats, baking soda, and salt, and stir well. Spoon into the muffin pan, filling each liner ⅔ full. Sprinkle some gluten free oats on top if desired.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-23 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing.
This post was originally published in September 2015. It has been updated with new photos.