These chewy and delicious banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are sure to become a favorite recipe! If you’re looking for a delicious gluten free cookie, this is the recipe for you.
There’s something about the cold winter weather that just makes me want to bake cookies.
In a few weeks, we will hopefully have some nice weather, and be thinking about spring food, like roasted asparagus and spring salads. But for now, I’m still in comfort food mode.
Quite a few years ago, I took one of my favorite cookie recipes, these banana walnut chocolate chunk cookies, and made some changes so that we could still enjoy them. That’s one thing that’s a little bit difficult about dealing with food allergies that come up later in life – you get used to certain recipes, and it’s sad when you can’t enjoy them anymore.
I’ve made the original version of these cookies for years, but I love this version just as much! These gluten free banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are chewy, chocolatey, and delicious.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – I really like Namaste Perfect Flour Blend – it works really well for cookies, and it’s easy to find! I get the big bag from Costco.
- Certified Gluten Free Oats – There are a few different brands of certified gluten free oats. We like GF Harvest, which you can find on Amazon, because they are processed in a nut free facility.
- Egg – I used one egg in this recipe. If you can’t have eggs, a flax seed egg replacer will work very well.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – Enjoy Life and PASCHA Chocolate make delicious dairy free, allergy friendly chocolate chips. You can use regular chocolate chips, mini chips, or chocolate chunks in this recipe.
- Leave about an inch and a half of space between the cookies on the pan so that they have room to spread as they bake.
- I recommend using parchment paper so the cookies don’t stick to the pan.
- Be sure to let the cookies cool fully on the pan before trying to remove them. They may fall apart if you remove them when they are still hot.
I’ve had good luck storing these cookies in a ziploc bag. You could also store them in a tupperware container. If you place a piece of gluten free bread inside the container, that may prevent them from drying out. These should stay fresh for about 5 days if store properly.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Gluten Free Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- ¾ cup vegan buttery spread
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg You could also use one flax seed egg replacer
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup ripe banana mashed
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, salt, flax seed, and baking soda in a small bowl, whisk with fork and set aside.
- Put vegan buttery spread and sugars into a large bowl and beat on medium speed until fluffy and combined.
- Add egg, banana, and vanilla; mix until combined.
- Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in oats, chocolate chunks, and nuts (if using).
- Drop tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheets. Bake cookies until golden brown about 12 to 13 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then cool on wire racks.
adapted from Martha Stewart Living.