These barbecue chicken meatballs are delicious, flavorful, and so tender. The best part is, they’re made without any breadcrumbs or eggs, making them suitable for those with food allergies. Serve these with a side of mashed potatoes and coleslaw.
A meal that’s flavorful, warm, and has a wonderful sauce is a big hit in my book. These meatballs are all of that and more! They’re tender, easy to make, and since they’re free of gluten, dairy, and eggs, they’re perfect for those with food allergies.
These are a wonderful main dish when served with rice or potatoes, or you can serve them on their own as a fun appetizer for a party.
- Ground Chicken – I recommend using both ground chicken breast and ground chicken thighs for the best flavor and texture. You can usually find ground chicken at the butcher counter or packaged in the meat section at the grocery store.
- Potatoes – Potatoes are what hold these meatballs together. I recommend using a couple of baked potatoes that you mash with a fork, or even some leftover mashed potatoes.
- Tomato Sauce – Tomato sauce is the base of my favorite homemade barbecue sauce. We use Muir Glen canned tomato sauce.
- Onion – Onion does add flavor to the meatballs, but if you can’t have onion, try adding some fresh herbs like chives, basil, or cilantro.
- Spices – Both the meatballs and the sauce require several spices, like garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and cumin. We use McCormick brand spices, but feel free to use any brand that works for your particular needs.
Step by Step Instructions
- Make the barbecue sauce, and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Place the ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl, and use your hands to mix everything together. Roll the mixture into balls, and place in a ceramic baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes.
- Add the barbecue sauce, and bake for another 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for about 3-4 days.
🍽 Looking for more comforting dinner recipes? Join my community to get delicious gluten free, dairy free, and top 9 free recipes in your inbox each week!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Barbecue Chicken Meatballs (Gluten Free, Egg Free).
For the barbecue sauce:
For the meatballs:
Make the barbecue sauce:
- Heat the tomato sauce in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add all of the other ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or so to let the flavors blend.
Make the meatballs:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare the potatoes. I used two small Yukon Gold potatoes that I baked, then mashed with a fork. You could also use leftover mashed potatoes if you prefer.
- Place onion, garlic, chicken, potatoes, and spices in a large bowl and use your hands to mix everything together.
- Form the chicken mixture into balls and place them in a ceramic baking dish in a single layer.
- Add a ½ cup water to the dish, and bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Pour the barbecue sauce over the meatballs and bake for another 15 minutes, or until they are fully cooked. The meatballs should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!