These dairy free mashed potatoes are sure to disappear quickly! Light, fluffy, and buttery, these are the perfect side dish.
What’s your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?
Fluffy, buttery, dairy free mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving dinner or for any occasion that requires a helping of comfort food.
You might wonder if you can really get mashed potatoes to be creamy and light without real dairy butter and milk. Yes, you definitely can! These are always a big hit at our holiday meals – most people would have a hard time telling the difference between these vegan mashed potatoes and the regular variety.
How to make dairy free mashed potatoes:
- Start out with you favorite potatoes. White potatoes work well, and so do Yukon gold potatoes. Boil until tender, then drain.
- Add some vegan buttery spread and a non-dairy milk.
- Mash them in whatever way works for you – either using a potato masher or a stand mixer.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Best Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes.
Light, fluffy, and butter, these dairy free mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish!
- 8 white potatoes or Yukon Golds
- 1/3 cup vegan buttery spread
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk (from the refrigerator section)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- salt and pepper to taste
Peel the potatoes and cut into one inch chunks.
Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium high and boil for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
Season with more salt if needed and pepper. Top with dairy free gravy if desired.
This recipe can easily be doubled if needed. If you want to prepare ahead of time, you can peel and chop the potatoes, then cover them with water and store in the refrigerator overnight. That way some of the prep work is done before the big day.