Thick, rich, and fudgy gluten free brownies are always a favorite treat! This easy and delicious recipe uses just one bowl, simple ingredients, and takes just minutes to make.
Sometimes you just need a good brownie for dessert. A nice thick, chewy, chocolatey brownie.
And if you are gluten free, you may be wondering if you’ll ever have that perfect brownie again. Especially if your favorite brownie was from a boxed mix, you might be a little surprised the first time you try to make a gluten free version.
Gluten free brownie mixes can be hit or miss…I remember buying a boxed mix when I was new to gluten free baking, and I was very disappointed. The finished product had an odd texture, and they just weren’t like the brownies I was used to making and eating.
These made from scratch brownies require just a few simple ingredients. I’ve tried them with a couple of different gluten free flour blends, and they work beautifully every time.
Made in one bowl, these fudgy brownies just take a few minutes to mix up and then about 30 minutes to bake. I do recommend letting them cool for at least an hour before slicing. Slicing them when hot may result in brownies that fall apart.
These from scratch brownies taste awesome. This recipe is decadent – lots of vegan buttery spread, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder result in a rich brownie.
The texture of these brownies is just right – they have a delicious crackly top, and a fudgy middle. They are perfect for enjoying with a glass of cold milk, or with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of dairy free hot fudge.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – I kept this brownie recipe dairy free by using vegan buttery spread. If you are able to have dairy, go ahead and use dairy butter if you like. I haven’t tried these with coconut oil – so I don’t know what the result would be. If you try that, please let me know!
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – Using melted chocolate chips in this batter helps keep the texture moist and rich. I like Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips or PASCHA Chocolate Chips to enhance the chocolate flavor in this recipe, but you can use any type of chocolate chips you want.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – Namaste Perfect Flour Blend works well here, but you could also use different blends like Gluten Free 123 or Now Foods Gluten Free Flour.
- Eggs – This recipe calls for eggs, but you could try an egg replacer like applesauce or beet puree. Mashed banana would also work well. You may want to avoid a flax seed egg replacer as it may make the brownies too gummy. Read more about egg replacers and decide which type will work for your needs.
Step by Step Instructions
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over two sides.
- Place the dairy free chocolate chips and vegan buttery spread in a bowl and microwave until melted.
- Add the sugar and eggs to the bowl and stir well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Stir well to combine – the batter will be thick.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 28-30 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool for at least an hour, then slice into squares with a sharp knife.
If you have leftover brownies, store them in an airtight container. Putting a piece of gluten free bread inside the container will help keep the brownies from drying out. They should stay fresh for about three days.
Yes, these brownies can be frozen. Freezing them can dry them out however, so be sure to wrap each brownie in plastic wrap and then store them in a freezer bag.
Boxed Mix Option
There are many different choices for boxed brownie mixes. I have tried Namaste, Glutino, and King Arthur through the years. They all have a little bit different texture and flavor. I would encourage you to read the labels and find the brand that will work best for your dietary needs.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Thick and Fudgy Gluten Free Brownies.
Thick, chewy, fudgy gluten free brownies made in one bowl with pantry ingredients. This is a recipe you'll use again and again!
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 8×8 square baking dish with parchment paper so that it hangs over on two sides.
Place the vegan buttery spread and the chocolate chips in a bowl and microwave on high for 45-60 seconds. Stir until the chocolate chips are melted and incorporated.
Add the sugar and the eggs and mix well. Add the gluten free flour, salt, baking powder, coc0a powder, and vanilla. Stir until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean.
Allow brownies to cool for at least an hour before slicing with a sharp knife.
You can use a 9×9 square pan if you like, but the brownies won’t be quite as thick.
I like to make this recipe with Namaste Gluten Free Perfect Flour Blend. Both brands made delicious brownies.
These should stay fresh in an airtight container for up to three days.
If you want to use an egg replacer, I would recommend trying ⅓ cup applesauce or ⅓ cup mashed banana.