The best gluten free chocolate chip cookies – these are chewy, chocolatey, and so easy to make! Start with a store bought mix and add some extras to make these tasty cookies.
If you have to avoid gluten in your diet, then you know how hard it can be to make baked goods and get them to taste good when you are first starting out. There is a definite learning curve to baking gluten free. And if you decide to use a store bought mix, then the cookies or brownies or whatever may or may not turn out well. Either they are too crumbly, or they are way too dense and sit in your stomach like a rock.
I had a bag of Bob’s Red Mill Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix on hand and I had a hankering for chocolate chip cookies so I decided to give it a try again. I had made the mix once before according to the package directions and it didn’t turn out well at all. (Sorry, Bob!)
But I’m a little bit more experienced now, and not afraid to look at the mix as a starting point, not the ending point. A few little add-ins and these cookies turned out to be some of my favorites! These are the best gluten free chocolate chip cookies.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
BEST Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies. Ever.
The best gluten free chocolate chip chocolate cookies - start with a mix, then add a few ingredients to make these tasty treats!
- 22 ounces Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed meal
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. (I find parchment paper to be essential when baking gluten free cookies. It helps them come off the sheet easily).
- Using a mixer, beat butter and egg together until creamy. Add cookie mix and beat on low. It will be crumbly. Add unsweetened applesauce, vanilla extract, and flax seed meal and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop fairly large tablespoons of the dough onto cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Keep an eye on them - you want them to be done, but chewy, not crispy.
- Let cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy! Do you have a favorite gluten free mix that I should try?