Broccoli potato soup with roasted chickpeas is a warm and hearty soup for chilly days. This easy recipe is vegan and gluten free.
Fun fact: My favorite number is 5, and when I voted last night I was voter #555!
I don’t know, I thought that was kind of fun. I probably should have played the lottery. The election volunteers – Dottie, Bonnie, and Geraldine did not seem impressed. :)
We had a very chilly weekend, so I made a big pot of soup on Saturday. We all love broccoli soup, but I decided to change things up a little bit by adding some potatoes which made the soup even thicker and creamier. I also roasted some chickpeas and put them on top – the contrast of flavors and textures was so good!
I love to use my immersion blender (affiliate link) for soups like this…it’s so much easier to blend the soup right inside the pot. Once you add the broccoli, make sure you keep an eye on the soup. You want the broccoli to be tender, but still bright green. That way this broccoli potato soup will be a nice pretty shade of green.
Broccoli Potato Soup with Roasted Chickpeas.
For the chickpeas:
- 30 ounces chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a pan with parchment paper. Place the rinsed chickpeas on the pan and pat dry. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the curry powder, Garam Masala, and spices.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, shaking the pan now and then to redistribute the chickpeas. Remove from oven to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the soup: Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil in a large pot over medium heat for about five minutes.
- Add the potatoes and broth and raise heat to high. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer for about 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add broccoli florets and raise heat to medium. Cook until broccoli is tender and bright green, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Remove pan from heat and puree using an immersion blender.
- Serve with roasted chickpeas on top.
I hope you like this broccoli potato soup recipe. It’s surprisingly filling – probably because of all the chickpeas on top. We loved this soup, and I want to make it again today, actually!
Are you in a soup mood this week?