Chewy almond meal cookies are gluten free, vegan, and so tasty!
How was your weekend? It was such a gorgeous weekend here…we had a bit of rain, but then lots and lots of sun. It’s starting to look really pretty out there with the leaves changing colors. I wish that fall was longer…it would be nice to be able to enjoy it for about four months and then have just two months of winter. I wonder how we can make that happen? ;)
Today I’ll be sharing my first sweet recipe of this 31 day series. These almond meal cookies are a big hit with my two boys. They are chewy and flavorful and delicious. I love the texture and nuttiness that you get when you bake with almond meal. I get ours from Trader Joe’s, but there are other brands available if you don’t happen to have a Trader Joe’s near you.
These chewy almond meal cookies are:
- nutty and flavorful
- perfect for an after school snack
- gluten free and vegan
Chewy Almond Meal Cookies.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup vegan buttery spread melted
- 2 Tablespoons flax seed meal
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- Make the flax seed egg replacers: in a small bowl, mix the flax meal and the water and set aside. In a few minutes it will become a gel.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond meal, gluten free flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the melted buttery spread, applesauce, flax seed egg replacers, and vanilla extract.
- Put the bowl of dough in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Drop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Do not overbake, you want them to be chewy.
We love these chewy almond meal cookies and I make them or some variation of them quite often. Luckily I keep a good supply of almond meal on hand at all times for emergency cookie making. ;)
What cookie recipes do you come back to again and again?
This post is part of my series: 31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Soups, Salads, Sides & Sweets.