This easy ground turkey shepherd’s pie is the perfect comforting dish to make for your family! A flavorful meat base is topped with cream mashed potatoes and melty cheese – so tasty!
It’s about this time every year when I start to crave comfort food. Cooler weather has me craving creamy mashed potatoes and hearty casseroles.
One of our family’s favorites is Shepherd’s Pie. The recipe for this ground turkey shepherd’s pie came from a book called Desperation Dinners that has lots of great recipes.
I’ve adapted it to be a little healthier, and the original version called for peas, not mushrooms. But we love mushrooms, so we put them in everything we can! If you love peas, feel free to add those in as well.
This is a very fast recipe, easy to throw together on a busy night.
You can take shortcuts with this ground turkey shepherd’s pie recipe. Try:
- using refrigerated mashed potatoes instead of homemade
- buying pre-sliced mushrooms
- using frozen chopped onions
Turkey Shepherd's Pie
This ground turkey shepherd's pie is creamy, hearty, delicious comfort food.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion for 1 cup chopped
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 20 ounces mashed potatoes either homemade or store bought refrigerated will work
- 1 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup reduced fat sour cream
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Turn on broiler in oven.
- Heat the oil and the onions in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the ground turkey and mushrooms, raise heat to high, and cook the ground turkey until brown. Stir in Ketchup and Worcestershire and garlic.
- When the meat is fully browned reduce heat to medium low and simmer.
Mix the cornstarch and water in a small cup. Add to the meat mixture and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Warm the potatoes according to package directions and add butter.
- Add the sour cream to the meat, and stir.
Transfer the meat mixture to a large glass pie plate or casserole dish. Spread the potatoes over the top.
- Sprinkle cheese over potatoes. Place under broiler and broil until the cheese bubbles, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
What’s your favorite comfort food at this time of year? If you need more inspiration, try this quinoa sausage casserole.