A delicious cream of potato soup that doesn’t take all day long to make! Gluten free, with dairy free options given.
Remember the days of running into Panera and ordering a big bowl of soup? Maybe it was cream of potato, maybe French onion, maybe even cheesy broccoli soup. Either way, if you have food allergies, grabbing a bowl of soup on the go probably isn’t as easy as it used to be.
I still love soup for lunch or dinner, and just because it isn’t safe for us to eat at certain restaurants, that doesn’t mean my family has to miss out on the simple pleasure of a rich, hot, delicious bowl of potato soup.
This cream of potato soup recipe is the one that I grew up eating, but have now adapted to suit our needs. My mom got the recipe from our elderly neighbor, Mrs. Brown. Mrs. Brown also made an amazing apple pie. This soup is a very simple recipe, and we love to make it. We can easily make it gluten free by using a gluten free flour blend instead of all purpose flour.
If you are dairy free, you can use dairy free yogurt or sour cream and dairy free milk in place of the regular sour cream and milk.
This soup is sooooooo good, and we double the recipe because we like it so much. A huge pot full of potato soup just reminds me of my childhood, and is so comforting. You don’t have to, but we top it with bacon and cheese. Perfect for cold winter days! This is a great lunch or dinner when served with rolls or a side salad.
Cream of Potato Soup
- 3 cups Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup green onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 32 ounces chicken broth OR vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk non-dairy milk is fine
- 1 cup sour cream OR 1 cup plain dairy free yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons flour gluten free flour blend works just fine
- ham or bacon if desired
- shredded cheese if desired
- Bring first four ingredients to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Add 1 cup milk to pot. In a bowl, stir together 2 Tablespoons flour, 1 cup milk, and 1 cup sour cream until blended. Add mixture to pot. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add bacon or ham if desired. Top with shredded cheese or crackers. Enjoy!
I love potato soup because it’s so easy to customize. Want more vegetables in it? Just add some shredded carrots or some spinach. Not a bacon fan? Leave it out, or add some ham or some chicken sausage instead. Plus, everyone loves potato soup, and it’s fairly inexpensive, especially if potatoes and broth are on sale!
Do you have a potato soup recipe that you love? What about other comforting fall soups?