Sweet potato and kale soup is a hearty and healthy soup that’s so warming for winter! Gluten free and vegan, too.
Happy Monday! I’m so excited today because my friend Julia from The Roasted Root wrote an awesome book, and I got a chance to read through it, try a recipe!
Okay, so let’s get to it. Hopefully you already read Julia’s blog, because it is awesome, and filled with delicious recipes that are packed with superfoods, and usually gluten free. I’m amazed at how she is able to make things like beets and kale and seeds and nuts and twigs<–nope ;) look gorgeous and taste delicious.
She wrote one cookbook, called Delicious Probiotic Drinks, and now she’s gone and written a second one, that overachiever! This one is called Let Them Eat Kale!: Simple and Delicious Recipes for Everyone’s Favorite Superfood and it’s filled with healthy, approachable, tasty recipes, all of which incorporate kale.
Let me tell you, this is the book for me. Kale is a vegetable that I know we NEED to eat more of, but it’s been hard for me to figure out how to make it something that we WANT to eat. The leaves are just so huge, and it seems kind of tough, and I don’t know…I’m just a slacker, I guess. I usually cruise by the kale and grab nice, friendly, familiar spinach instead.
But after reading through Let Them Eat Kale! I’m now armed with new and exciting ways to add kale into our diet. And why should we eat kale, you ask? Because it’s packed with vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, and fights disease and strengthens the immune system.
Let Them Eat Kale! is a gorgeous book with 75 recipes and full color photos. It’s truly a pleasure to browse through.
After much deliberation, I decided to make the Creamy Sweet Potato and Kale Soup.
We LOVED this soup! I made it on Friday, and Darryl tried it first, while I took pictures. When I sat down, he looked at my bowl and spoon and said, “You’re gonna want to put that in a mug so you can drink it up faster…it’s SO GOOD!” And it really is so good. It’s creamy, flavorful, and I would never guess that it has a ton of healthy kale inside. Julia suggests blending this sweet potato and kale soup in a regular blender, but I just went for the immersion blender in the soup pot and it worked out very well! (Fewer dishes to wash).
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Creamy Sweet Potato and Kale Soup.
A creamy, flavorful, nutrient rich sweet potato and kale soup that's perfect for autumn!
- 1 large sweet potato roasted
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt to taste
- 4 cups curly kale leaves chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a fork, pole several hopes in the sweet potato. Wrap the sweet potato in foil and roast it in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add oil to a large soup pot and heat to medium. Add the onion and garlic and saute until completely softened and browned, about 12 to 15 minutes. Add the spices and salt and saute an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale leaves and cover the pot. Allow the kale leaves to cook and soften, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Scoop the flesh out of the sweet potato and add to the pot. Add the coconut milk and the vegetable broth, and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and blend the soup inside the pot with an immersion blender until very smooth.
- Serve soup with rustic bread and enjoy!
This soup is sooooooooooo good. It’s such a cozy, spicy, rich combination of flavors. I love it. There are so many more recipes that I’m dying to try, like white bean and kale dip, Spanish rice, and chicken enchiladas. Julia really did an amazing job with this cookbook – I know I will be trying many of these dishes.