This creamy cashew dip is just right for a healthy appetizer! Yellow split peas and curry spices give this dip a wonderful savory flavor! This vegan and gluten free dip is a great addition to your next party.
Well, I have a couple more cashew recipes to post here that were made before we found out that Baby Bee had a cashew allergy. I’m still going to go ahead and share them, because if you are able to eat cashews, they are delicious, and at least you will be able to enjoy these!
Did you know that a cashew is actually not botanically a nut? It’s actually a little growth that forms on the outside of the cashew apple. And the workers who harvest these have to take a lot of precautions because the outer layer of cashew apple is toxic.
Isn’t that interesting? You can see in the photo the dark part outside of the apples, that’s where the cashew is.
This was a very simple dip to make and I actually ate it for lunch a couple of days in a row. This vegan creamy cashew dip was great with a plate of raw veggies, and it would also be really good spread inside of pita or a wrap sandwich.
I found raw cashew pieces at Trader Joe’s. I soaked them for about an hour before blending them, and I was amazed at how creamy they were! When combined with the yellow split peas, they made a really smooth and rich dip. It was a nice change of pace from the other dips I usually eat, like hummus or black bean dip.
Tips for making this creamy cashew dip:
- you need to use raw cashews – NOT roasted and salted cashews
- soak the cashews for at least an hour
- use a good food processor or Vitamix to blend this dip
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Curried Yellow Split Pea and Creamy Cashew Dip.
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces
- 1/8 cup water
- 2/3 cup dried yellow split peas
- 1/3-1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Put the cashew pieces in a bowl with enough water to cover them. Soak for one hour.
- Meanwhile, pick over and rinse the yellow split peas. Put them in a pot with water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook until the peas are tender, about 35-40 minutes.
- Drain split peas and let cool.
- Drain the cashews and rinse. Place the cashews and the 1/8 cup water in the blender and blend on high until smooth. Add a bit more water if needed.
- Add the yellow split peas, almond milk, curry powder, garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Blend on high until smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides as needed. Add more almond milk if the dip is too thick.
- Serve with raw vegetables or pita bread or chips.
This is a great after school snack or a side dish with lunch or dinner. Sadly, we won’t be eating it again for a while since I have cleared all the cashews out of our house.
Have you made dips with a creamy cashew base before?
If you’re looking for a nut free dip, try this cilantro black bean hummus. It’s a delicious recipe for a party.